06 April 2010

Easter Corbett Bagging in Knoydart

Easter weekend saw myself and 9 other Glenmore Club members head over to the remote peninsula of Knoydart. Friday's weather was glorious for the drive up and boat ride in to Inverie from Mallaig. On Saturday I trotted over the two Corbetts of Sgurr Coire Choinnichean and Beinn na Caillich. It was a hard slog straight up almost 800 metres in about a mile from the Knoydart Foundation Bunkhouse, with snow greeting me on top. I then headed cross country to the next one, nestling beside the mighty Munro of Ladhar Bheinn. It was more of a steady plod here, with a steep dodgy descent off it before sore knees reduced me to a walk back a few miles on land rover tracks to Inverie. A few beers and a roaring fire in the bunkhouse soothed the pain though.

On Sunday the promised fine weather made an appearance and I put the boots on anticipating lots of fresh snow on the ridge to Beinn Bhuidhe. I took the clockwise option, heading up into Gleann Meadail , not quite going all the way to Mam Meadail and bashing across to miss out Meall Bhasiter. The ridge was covered in a few feet of fresh snow, the sun was shining and the views were amazing - Loch Nevis, the Munros around Sgurr na Ciche, the Skye Cuillins and Knoydarts own array of Corbetts and Munros.












1 comment:

  1. Ohhh I like the pic of the big jaggy mountain John :-)

    ReplyDelete