20 July 2006

Maddy Moss Hill Race

10 YEARS ON AND 10 MINUTES SLOWER! I suppose a minute per year isn’t too bad, and everyone else seems to be regressing like wise, so that makes it easier to bear. I still seem to enjoy it as much as ever and the good thing about running is that it still subjectively feels like I am running the same as 10 years ago, just as hard but just not as fast – strange that, eh?! The predictions of extremely hot weather fortunately didn’t materialise and whilst still hot wasn’t actually too bad and there was even a nice wee breeze on top. There was the usual good turnout of Westies for this Bog and Burn race - @6 miles and 675m of ascent from Tillicoultry - a “power walk” up the steep climb to The Law, a steady run up to the high point of Ben Cleuch and then fine cross country running down to Andrew Gannell Hill and finally the long runnable descent on the narrow trod from Maddy Moss and the quad-busting final very steep hundred yards or so to the finish. The steep start here always hits hard but then you get a few minutes of flat running before the slog up The Law. I tried to settle into a nice steady walk up this big climb, to save some energy for all the running that is left once you hit the top. It seemed to work out OK, pulling away from Helen and watching Don and Steffen not too far ahead. I had a walking/running battle with Pete Buchanan of Ochils who would run past me on the less steep bits and then I would walk past him as it steepened; after half a dozen of these mini-battles he pulled away near the top of The Law, never to be seen again. From the turn round at the Ben Cleuch trig I held my place, being passed once but passing a Fifer near the end. The narrow trod required the usual total concentration on every little foot plant to avoid plunging down the hill, and fortunately I had no one in front to try and overtake as it is near impossible, as the Dundee runner behind me found out. I crossed the line in just under 66min 49sec, about 3min slower than last year and 33rd/72, but as always, felt to my mind as hard as ever and I was pleased with my run, bearing in mind the recent long races in my legs (Wasdale, then Moffat and a 100mile cycle on Monday – just getting my excuses in!). Up ahead David had a great run in 4th place, Helen and Cat were 1st and 2nd ladies, and Pauline 1st FV50. The lads narrowly missed out on the team prize to hosts Ochil, but the lassies triumphed in their team competition. Post-run recreation was in The Woolpack pub where we enjoyed some fine ales in the now smoke-free atmosphere. A great way to spend a Wed evening.
Reports and photos on the Westies website.
Results here

No comments:

Post a Comment