24 July 2006

Glen Lyon Cycle

Did one of my favourite cycles on Sun. Started at Killin, headed up the lovely wooded single track road up Glen Lochay to its end, then up steeply & slowly to @ 350m over the water board trackand a flying descent down into the head of Glen Lyon. From there it was miles and miles of gradual wind assisted descent along Glen Lyon, one of Scotland’s loveliest glens. Passed the Bridge of Balgie tea rooms, the Fortingall Yew (reputedly Europe’s oldest living thing), through Keltneyburn and over the General Wade bridge into Aberfeldy (45 miles). After a carrot cake muffin out of the Coop I headed back passing Taymouth castle which is being restored and into the lovely village of Kenmore at the east end of Loch Tay. From there I took the south Loch Tay road which undulates narrowly for about 15 miles with great views of Loch Tay and the Ben Lawers mountains across the water. I arrived back at Killin after 66 miles and @ 4 ½ hours, and decided that I needed a bit more climbing, so I cycled along the north Loch Tay road for a few miles before engaging my granny ring for the 300 metre climb up to the Ben Lawers visitor centre, turning round at the reservoir for a nice fast descent back down. All in all 81 miles of stunning Highland scenery in perfect cycling weather. A fantastic day out.
Photos
  • here
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment