17 February 2009

Carnethy Hill Race & Musselburgh Audax Cycle

SAT/SUN 14/15 FEB 2009

My 20th finish of this brilliant race in the Pentlands, organised expertly by Carnethy Hill Runners. The snow on the course made it all lots of fun, if rather hard work, especially on the steep descents. I paced myself OK, pulling in quite a few places on the last killer climb up to Carnethy summit, including Murdo, but I let Stevie Bell go for glory through the boggy marsh at the end. I finished in just over 71mins, and 152nd of 499 finishers - top third, so chuffed with that. Rob Jebb won in 53mins, and everyone reckoned the conditions added about 5mins on to "usual" times.

Results
Photos

Stayed over at the luxurious Carberry Tower to do the Musselburgh 70 mile Audax cycle on Sunday. Managed to get in a good bunch, including Carnethy Andy Spenceley, for the first 20 or so miles barreling along at 19mph average before they put their pedals to the metal and left me for dead. Soldiered on on my own to Dunbar for a tea and cake stop, before the last 30 miles back via Haddington into a headwind and mostly on my own. Was pleased to finish feeling strong, in a cycling time of 4hrs 15mins and an average of @16.6mph.









No comments:

Post a Comment