22 June 2007

Cort Ma Law Hill race




WED 20 JUNE
What a cracker of a race. Many thanks to Dave and his merry band of helpers. My fifteenth race on Cort Ma Law, and faster than my last few efforts. That was mainly due to the gut-wrenching efforts to beat ex-Westie Jim Hall in the last mile or so. I had got in a decent warm-up for a change so I did not suffer from the dreaded dead legs/lungs syndrome at the start. After reeling in Birthday Boy Baxter I settled into a decent slog up the ridge, just ahead of Jim and Murdo with Val and Graham just easing away from me on the way to the trig point. On the boggy messy trod to the Leckett Jim went past and this spurred me into chasing him from then on, rather than lapsing into my usual trance-like state of steady plodding. After the massive detour to the new Stevie Bell appointed turning point, I hared off after Jim down to the gully and back up to the stile. With Jim and Helen Stuart of BRR in sight I tried to squeeze some extra effort out of my weary legs in pursuit of them. I caught Helen and then really upped the effort to get Jim, just managing with a final mad burst to haul him in just before the line, despite him tripping me up – I just bounced off the grass and back up again – and got revenge for my Goatfell defeat. My heart rate monitor showed that I had averaged 163 bpm for my 61m 21s effort, 90% of max! Just shows you what the sight of an old man in tartan shorts can do to you!!
Finshed 25th of 61 starters; 6 miles 480 metres ascent

Results
Westies reports

No comments:

Post a Comment