17 November 2006

Tinto Hill Race


There was a fantastic turnout of 216 runners, including 16 Westies, for this cracker of an end of season race in deepest Lanarkshire. The weather was pretty foul, with very strong winds and even hail just before the start, though during the race itself we only had to contend with the gale-force winds. I set off at what I thought was a decent pace, trying to stay with Shona and Steffen initially till Shona pulled way strongly, leaving Steffen, Graham Kelly and myself to have a close fought battle up to the summit. We turned together in about 28 min and managed to get away from Graham with Steffen pulling away from me. half way down Don made his usual sprint past me, leaving me for dead, and Scott followed soon also. I didn't lose too many more places and finished in 41m 45s, 2 min down on last year (57th of 216 starters), though in the windy conditions everyone else seemed to be slower. which was some consolation. Shona had a great run to finish 1st Westie, and possibly 2nd/3rd female, putting the Westies men to shame. Well done to all Westies and a big thanks to the organisers. Results now on Carnethy website

No comments:

Post a Comment